Couples TherapyAccording to Gottman, a leader in the field of couples therapy there are four factors which are predictive of relationships ending. These include:
- Criticism of your partner’s personality
- Stonewalling, or refusing to interact
- Changes the views of the relationship. Throughout the therapeutic process, the therapist attempts to help both partners see the relationship in a more objective manner. They learn to stop the “blame game” and instead look at what happens to them as a process involving each partner.
- Modifies dysfunctional behaviour. Effective couples therapists attempt to change the way that the partners actually behave with each other. This means that in addition to helping them improve their interactions, therapists also need to ensure that their clients are not engaging in actions that can cause physical, psychological, or economic harm.
- Decreases emotional avoidance. Couples who avoid expressing their private feelings put themselves at greater risk of becoming emotionally distant and hence grow apart. Effective couples therapists help their clients bring out the emotions and thoughts that they fear expressing to the other person. Attachment based couples therapy allows the partners to feel less afraid of expressing their needs for closeness.
- Improves communication. Being able to communicate is one of the core elements of intimacy. All effective couples therapies focus on helping the partners to communicate more effectively. Couples may require “coaching” to learn how to speak to each other in more supportive and understanding ways.
- Promotes strengths. Because so much of couples therapy involves focusing on problem areas, it’s easy to lose sight of the other areas in which couples function effectively. The point of promoting strength is to help the couple derive more enjoyment out of their relationship.
Contact Us[contact-form-7 id=”2203″ title=”Contact form 1″]
THE YOGA CLINIC
Therapy ServicesREAD MORE
Explore your emotional wellbeing, to create the foundations of a healthy and sustainable lifestyle.